As you may or may not know, Parker Duke works as a digger at High Cascade Snowboard Camp in the summer. This means that he and his fellow diggers are in charge of keeping the park features up to snuff, he lives in a warehouse looking thing (the Digger house) in Government Camp with 10 or so other dudes and it means that he also gets to snowboard almost all year long, which is nice. Here are his top 5 answers to a list of questions about the whole deal that we rifled at him.
Top 5 things about being a digger at Mt. Hood in the summer?
1. Digger Crew (some of the most rad people around).
2. Driving the new snowmobile.
5. On-hill digger zone. Hanging out there/making snow sculpture houses is just as much fun as snowboarding, if not better.
Top 5 worst things about being a digger at Mt. Hood in the summer?
1. The pay isn't the best.
2. Dealing with poachers and kicking people out.
3. Placing and setting banners in the snow. So stoked I don't have to deal with that anymore. (Veteran digger status)
4. Dealing with the god damned air bag!!!
5. That's all I can think of.
Top 5 things to do in Government Camp when it rains?
1. Leave Government Camp.
2. Read a book.
3. Watch MacGruber multiple times.
4. Go to High Mountain Cafe for Bloody Marys.
5. Go back to sleep.
Top 5 things to do on the hill?
1. The Palmer Point.
2. Mini Pipe.
3. Medium Jump.
4. Take a nap/play solitaire on bad weather days.
5. Snowskate or play a game of Tag while snowboarding down the hill at the end of the day.
Top 5 things to do off the hill?
2. Go to Charlie's, preferably bring Ian Hart with you.
3. Throw knives.
4. Play random instruments at Desiree's house.
5. Leave Government Camp.
Top 5 places to eat in Government Camp?
1. Cobra Dogs.
2. Volcano Cones.
3. Pizza Party.
4. Cobra Dogs.
5. Cobra Dogs.
Top 5 things to do on your days off?
2. Continue vacation.
3. Further continue vacation.
4. Surprisingly, still be on vacation.
5. Holy shit, I can't believe I'm still on vacation!
Top 5 pranks to play on other diggers/staff?
1. Digger holes.
2. Burying specifically Dave Reynolds' (head coach) snowboard.
3. Burying other staff members' snowboards.
4. Burying backpacks.
5. Burying A-Lo's chair on a daily basis.
Top 5 things about the digger house?
1. The skate bowl in the backyard.
2. "Best Days Ever". Boss man Rio T knows how to throw a party and cook amazing food.
3. Indoor skateboarding.
4. Skate 3 on a reasonably large TV.
5. It's away from the rest of the camp (possibly my favorite feature).
Top 5 reasons to kick people out of the snowboard park?
1. They're poaching.
2. They suck (bad vibes and shouldn't be around campers).
3. They are on the "Dig to Ride" program and they're blowing it a.k.a. they miss noon rake/very poor work ethic.
4. That really about sums it up.
Top 5 things to spend your summer earnings on?
1. Gambling - a baby scoop from Volcano Cones as the only currency allowed.
3. Cobra Dogs.
4. Dinner at El Burro Loco to start the vacation off right.
5. Save it for the real world once camp is over.